|Norris Lunch Station
|Haynes divided back postcard
(Made in Germany; pre-1917)
THE NORRIS Lunch Station, also known as the Norris Hotel, was built in 1901, and was the third tourist establishment at Norris, replacing a wooden hotel that was lost to fire before opening for its first season, and a tent lunch station. The structure shown above was small as hotels go, with only about 25 sleeping rooms, and was built on a hill just north of the Porcelain Basin, allowing visitors a view of the popular thermal area from the verandah. The Norris Hotel was built primarily as a rest stop on the stage tour of Yellowstone's grand loop. Most visitors ate lunch here and then toured the geysers. Located near Minute Geyser was a loading platform with bench seats sheltered by a canopy, and it was here that tourists boarded stagecoaches for their ride on to the Lower Geyser Basin.
At the end of the tourist season in 1912, the winterkeepers, Mr. and Mrs. Robinson, made the hotel's liquor stock available to soldiers quartered at the nearby Norris Soldier Station. One fall afternoon, 3 privates stopped by the Norris Hotel to drink and play cards. A fight broke out over accusations of cheating, and one of the men went back to the soldier station to get a gun. The corporal intervened and averted the crisis, but the winterkeepers and the stock of liquor were soon removed.
The Norris Lunch Station was abandoned in 1917 after motorized transportation ended its usefulness, and the building finally torn down in 1927.
(Sources: Aubrey Haines, The Yellowstone Story, Vol. 2; Lee H. Whittlesey and the Yellowstone Staff, A Yellowstone Album.)
|RETURN TO MAIN PAGE|
|RETURN TO POSTCARD PAGE 2|