Pryor Coffee Shop, Mammoth Hot Springs
Yellowstone Park, Wyoming

  
1940s-era divided-back linen postcard by E.C. Kropp Co., Milwaukee. The various signs on the building proclaim it as Coffee Shop - Park Curio Shop - Soda Fountain. On the back of the card the message reads

  
Pryor Coffee Shop, a good place to eat in Yellowstone Park. Just one mile away at Mammoth Auto Camp is Pryor's Cafeteria. Visit Pryor General Stores and Gas Stations at Mammoth and Canyon.
 

    
This building was completed around 1908, replacing Ole Anderson's Specimen House. The structure was originally about half the size shown here, with peaked roofs at both ends. The wing to the right was added later.
     Pryor's Coffee Shop was owned by Pryor & Trischman (Mrs. Anna K. Pryor and her maiden sister Elizabeth Trischman.  Before becoming Mrs. Pryor, Anna Trischman taught school at Fort Yellowstone in Mammoth Hot Springs).
     Here are a few Pryor's Coffee Shop prices from 1941:

            Ice cream sundae...................................................$0.15
            Sundae with ground nuts.........................................$0.25
            Chocolate malted milk............................................$0.20
            "Eastern" beer
                 (Budweiser or Pabst Blue Ribbon).......................$0.20/bottle
            Best dinner
                 Large, thick T-bone steak, salad, vegetable, potato,
                 rolls, butter, pie, dessert (ice cream or cake),
                 beverage (tea, coffee, milk, or iced tea)................$1.00

     Though never as lucrative as the Hamilton operation, Pryor & Trischman ran profitable businesses and bought out concessionaire George Whittaker in 1932. In turn, they sold to C.A. Hamilton in 1953. The building shown in this postcard was torn down in 1979.
RETURN TO MAIN PAGE
RETURN TO POSTCARD PAGE 2