|Geyser Water Swimming Pool
Old Faithful, Yellowstone
|Divided-back linen-era postcard
The Geyser Water Swimming Pool, linen-era postcard, was located across the river from Beehive Geyser, in a meadow in front of the Old Faithful Inn. This structure is no longer standing, and there are few signs today of its earlier presence.
The history of indoor swimming pools in the Old Faithful area goes back to 1914-1915, when Henry Brothers constructed and opened an earlier structure on this spot. It featured a large swimming pool and five smaller pools of varying temperatures. When he retired in 1933, Brothers sold the business to Charles Hamilton, concessionaire and owner of Yellowstone's Hamilton Stores. By then the structure was badly in need of repair, and Hamilton signed an agreement with the Park Service that he would either repair it or tear it down.
He chose to "repair" the old swimming pool by building an entirely new structure, which opened in the spring of 1934. Instead of several pools, there were two--one of which was shallower for children. Water for the pools was piped in from Solitary Geyser. The building also housed employee dormatories, showers, and a public laundry. Overhead was a vaulted roof complete with log beams and skylights. 100 people could easily occupy the pools. One of the lifeguards was stationed atop a 25-foot tower with easy access to a rope which was attached to the center of the building, allowing the guard to swing Tarzan-style to the aid of a distressed swimmer.
The Geyser Water Swimming Pool was razed in 1951.
Source: Gwen Petersen, Yellowstone Pioneers: The Story of the Hamilton Stores and Yellowstone National Park (Oak Tree Publications, San Diego, CA, 1985).
REVERSE OF CARD READS:
The commodious Geyser Water Swimming Pool at Old Faithful with its 147 dressing rooms, sand porches for sun bathing, and 280,000 gallons of fresh, running geyser water has proved very popular ever since it was opened in 1934.
|RETURN TO POSTCARD PAGE 4|
|RETURN TO MAIN PAGE|