|The original solid entrance doors, still in use today, were painted
red--an international sign of welcome. The elaborate iron work
was done at the time of construction by the on-site blacksmith. In
the early days, the small, caged windows allowed the doorkeeper
to safely peer out before allowing unexpected guests to enter.
|The massive fireplace (left) provides a central support for the rest of the lobby.
In all probability it was also useful for providing warmth during winter
1903-1904 interior work, a cooking fire for construction workers, as well as an
on-site forge for making nails and metal detail work.
|Even the back of the Inn (left) was carefully designed by
architect Reamer. The "widow's walk" observation area at
the top of the building was built to provide tourists with a
raven's-eye view of Old Faithful and surroundings.
Following the 1959 earthquake, it was deemed unsafe
for daily visitor use, and though strengthened during the
renovation of the 2000s, it remains a restricted area
because it was not built to accommodate today's volume
|Although one might expect the Old Faithful Inn to face its famous
namesake, architect Robert Reamer intentionally turned the building
away from the geyser, instead placing it at a direction that would allow
incoming stages to have a direct view of Old Faithful as guests arrived
under the Inn's front portico.
|For more on the Inn's 2004 Centennial Celebration and
photos of May 7 Opening Day Ceremonies Click Here
|In the summer of 2004 banners througout the lobby
proclaimed the Inn's 100 anniversary, as seen in this
photo taken the evening of May 7, 2004, opening day of
the Old Faithful Inn's centennial season.
|A major 3-year renovation of the Old Faithful Inn has
helped to prepare the historic building for future
generations. This photo from the summer of 2005 shows
exterior work in progress.
|For more on the Old Faithful Inn restoration, including
photos and text Click Here
|By fall of 2008 the renovation of the Old Faithful Inn was nearly
complete. In this photo taken from the Old Faithful observation area
in early September, the scaffolding is gone, the exterior and roof are
reshingled and restained, the widow's walk rebuilt, and a small
crew of painters in the yellow lift near the center of the photo adds a
finishing trim around the windows.
|(left) Guests of the early 20th century would have had a
similar view of the Old Faithful Inn as they approached
from the west on a summer evening.
|(left) In 1987 the Old Faithful Inn was added as a National Historic Landmark.
Today, fewer than 2,500 historic places bear this national distinction. The
following statement of significance describes the Old Faithful Inn's qualification
for this status: "This Landmark was the first building in a National Park
constructed in an architectural style harmonious with the grandeur of the
surrounding landscape. Old Faithful Inn reflects Adirondack Rustic architectural
idiom, but blown up to enormous proportions. Its seven-story high log lobby is
unique in American architecture. Created with gnarled logs and rough sawn
wood for the Northern Pacific Railroad, it has a sense of place as identifiable as
the Park itself."
(Click here for floorplan of the Old Faithful Inn as submitted on the application for the
National Register of Historic Places.)
|Although one might expect the Old Faithful Inn to face its famous namesake,
architect Robert Reamer intentionally turned the building away from the geyser,
instead placing it at a direction that would allow incoming stages to have a
direct view of Old Faithful as guests arrived under the Inn's front portico.