Old Faithful Inn Photo Pages
page 2
RETURN TO PREVIOUS  PAGE
GO TO INN PHOTO PAGES    1   2   3   4   5   6   7   8   9

(See p. 9 for Old Faithful Inn LINKS on the Web)
GO TO NEXT PAGE
All photographs on this and the following pages (c) Frank Markley
(right) The tendency is to look up upon entering the Old
Faithful Inn, especially for first-time visitors.
(left and below) Looking up at the "tree house" near the peak of the
Inn's lobby. This bit of whimsey, complete with its own frame roof, door,
and  "windows," was added by young architect Reamer in harmony
with the Inn's forest-like atmosphere.
(left) This post-renovation view of the Old Faithful Inn lobby shows the lighter  
floor covering and added railing around the fireplace seating area. A similar
railing was used during the early 1900s, but was removed during a
subsequent renovation.         
      

(right) The lodgepole pine beams and railings such as the
one in the foreground were originally covered with bark. The
bark began to deteriorate, however, and was removed during
the 1940s.      
    
(left) A view of the second floor balcony. The mission-style chairs and
sofas are period pieces, though some of the lobby and dining room
furniture was brought from another Robert Reamer hotel, Yellowstone's
Canyon Hotel, after it was closed and ultimately torn down.         

Period desks such as this one are located along the second and third floor
balconies. Some are original to the inn, while others were among furnishings
moved here from the historic Canyon Hotel.
  
(above and right) A spot of late-afternoon light shines down from
windows above as through a canopy of pines. Some believe Reamer  
deliberately planned to evoke a forest-like setting.
       
(left) The original 1904 candle-style lighting fixtures are still in use
today. The Inn, though intentionally designed to look rustic, was among
the first to use electric lighting.
(upper right) View of the lobby, showing the two public balconies and
steps that continue on up to the crow's nest and former observation deck.
The chimney was designed with 8 fireplaces (four large and four on the
corners), but the August 1959 earthquake created interior blockage. The
large front
fireplace (on the clock side, seen below) has been used as the
main fireplace since the earthquake. At the center of the fire screen, a
silhouette of the Inn's namesake, Old Faithful, emerges from the glowing
flames behind.